New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home!
Ringing in 2019 is cause for celebration and symbolizes a fresh start. For many people, New Year’s resolutions go hand-in-hand with the festivities. The New Year is also a great time to make a spot on that resolution list for home improvements. Here are 5 easy ways to enhance your home in 2019!
Tackle the Clutter
Whether it’s a junk drawer or an overflowing garage, most of us have spaces in our homes that could be more organized. If the task seems overwhelming, break it down to small time frames each day. Just 20 minutes of decluttering each day can soon make a big difference. Sort your items into donate, discard, and keep categories for easy organizing.
Splash the Color
Paint is an easy and high impact way to change the look and feel of any space. Most of us have a room (or two!) that could use a freshening up with a new coat of paint. Before you choose a color, consider the lighting in the room, the color of the furniture and accessories in the space, and how the color will flow with the other rooms in your home. Paint a sample of the colors you’re considering on the wall before committing!
Make a List of the Little Projects
Don’t let the little projects pile up throughout the year. Make a list of regular home upkeep like changing air filters or checking the water softener and set a reminder for yourself. Create a list of small home repair projects and commit to completing at least one each week. Doing this at the beginning of January sets a productive tone for the rest of the year!
Go on an Energy Diet
Reduce your utility bills and your carbon footprint by being proactive in conserving energy. Consider implementing the following action items:
- Replace your regular light bulbs with LED bulbs. They use up to 80% less energy and last twice as long!
- Use smart power strips which are programmable and can solve the problem of extra energy consumed by electronics that are in standby mode.
- A smart thermostat is a great solution for easily and efficiently managing heating and cooling without replacing your HVAC system. They also provide reminders for changing air filters and can alert you to HVAC issues.
- Weatherization is a major component of energy savings. Check for air leaks around vents, windows, doors, and in spaces like the attic. This process can reveal if you need new insulation or windows.
Don’t forget curb appeal!
A welcoming home starts with the curb appeal. High impact curb appeal ideas include:
- A stunning front door is a great place to start when addressing curb appeal. If you don’t want to replace the entire door, consider painting it and replacing the hardware for a more cost-effective option.
- Landscaping extends the value of your home into the outdoors. Do your homework to choose plants and flowers that work best with the climate and soil where you live. Don’t forget sidewalks and pathways too. Consulting a professional to assist with landscaping can save you money in the long run!
- Don’t forget the small details like your mailbox and house numbers. These are inexpensive updates, but they help set the tone and style of your home.
Adding a few home improvement resolutions for 2019 can make a big difference for you and your home! Happy New Year!